Friday, December 14, 2012

Review: Silver Threads by Jade Kennedy

Author: Jade Kennedy
Title: Silver Threads
Publication: May 31st 2012 
Publisher:  Valley Press
Pages: 34pp.
Source: Kindle Lending Library

Synopsis"'Silver Threads' is the first collection of poetry by Jade Kennedy, one of the most recent literary talents to emerge from the city of Hull. Like the 'white wild flower sprung up between the cracks' of her opening poem, Jade's poetic voice has its roots in urban reality, its attention fixed at the sky, and a considerable elegance of its own.The poems are filled to the brim with rich, descriptive images to savour, illuminated by moonlight and a scattering of stars - and a sincere respect for our literary heritage, with subtle nods to Robert Frost and Virginia Woolf along the way. Put simply, this is a collection that deserves a place in your life and on your Kindle; download it now to see why." 
Thoughts: This is a nicely composed collection of poetry. Though sometimes poetry goes over my head but these poems have an interesting tone and are beautifully crafted. I think the author did a wonderful job expressing different moments and emotions in these poems. She has a way of making the words visually transpose into these little "threads" of inner thought. Needless to say I enjoyed the experience and think anyone will enjoy and identify with some part of this collection. Overall, good short read. Check out one of the poems below.

Expectations
My spine wills to arch
in a beautiful. brittle curve inwards in my core.
Fingers fused to pale knuckles
as if sculpted into marble;
a questioning gesture.

My left arm is folded across my chest,
a shield of bones 
defending my breath and pulse.
Neck twisting brightly
to make me listen evermore.

If my lips and tired eyes
contorted into unconscious forms,
would I be perfection?

1 comment:

  1. That is a beautiful poem. Thanks for reviewing and sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...